Immigration Procedure for Non-local Students Taking Up Internship in HK

Non-local Students Working in Hong Kong

To increase Hong Kong's attractiveness as a regional education hub, the Immigration Department of HKSAR Government announced in May 2008 the implementation of measures allowing non-local students to take up employment during and after their study program.

Employment DURING their study program includes internship, part-time on-campus job and summer job. Employment AFTER study program refers to the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates scheme (IANG). Please be reminded that according to HK Immigration Regulation, non-local students are NOT allowed to start or join in any business during their study program.

A comprehensive website dedicated to this topic has been developed by the Career Center of HKUST. In this website, you'll find the main gist of each of these policies; relevant rules, procedures and internal application forms; FAQs and useful links. Failure in complying with these rules and regulations will result in deportation. It is important for you to be familiar with these policies and associated administrative procedures by visiting our website at the following URL:

Meanwhile, the video archive of an info session delivered by representatives from the HKUST Career Center on this topic is also available for viewing at the following URL:

Should you have any further questions, please contact UG Student Development and Career Services at