Post-Secondary Applicants

1. Do we have any specific quota for sub-degree students? 

Senior-year intake target is around 70.

2. Are there any specific subject requirements for the business programs? 

Students from all subjects areas are welcome to apply.

3. Will there be any interviews? 

Interview is compulsory for BBA Global Business, BSc Quantitative Finance, BSc Risk Management and Business Intelligence and BSc Sustainable and Green Finance. For other business programs, some applicants may be invited for interview whereas some admission decisions may be made without an interview. 

4. I am now studying outside Hong Kong SAR. Do I have to arrange a trip for the interview?

Online interviews may be arranged for applicants not living in Hong Kong SAR. Interview invitations will be sent by email.

5. When will the offer decision be made? How will I be notified?

Full applications (including supporting documents) received before early-round application deadline (please check HERE) will be considered for early decision offers. Applicants who do not receive an early decision offer by end of December will automatically be considered in the main round.

Most of the main round offer decisions will be released from January to April. It is hard to say the exact date on which your offer will be made, and in some cases, offers will be made after this period so please be patient. You will be notified of your status by email or you can check your status from time to time online. 

6. Should I choose school-based admission (Business & Management) or specific major programs in my application?

Students applying on basis of sub-degree qualifications, e.g. associate degree or higher diploma, should select only Business and Management for entering the School first and select your desired major(s) at the end of the first or the second semester.

7. Can I get advanced credit for my qualification?

Students in our 4-year programs generally need to complete a minimum of 120 credits.

Holders of a recognized local sub-degree may be granted up to 60 advanced credits. As a general policy, sub-degree holders can gain 6 block transfer of University Common (Broadening group) Credits (CORE BROAD), 15 block transfer of unassigned free credits.

For non-local applicants, if you hold certain qualifications that have been listed in our credit equivalency database, you may gain the designated number of transfer credits upon your admission.

For more details, please refer to here.

8. Can I apply for credit transfer?

We do take into account the courses taken at tertiary level. Detailed advanced credit arrangements are available at here.

9. Do I need TOEFL or IELTS to gain admission?

TOEFL and IELTS can serve as proof of English language proficiency, but these tests are not necessary if you meet the requirements with any other recognized qualifications such as HKDSE English, IB English and GCE AS/AL English. For details, please visit here .

10. Where can I find information about student halls and how to apply?

Currently, HKUST has 10 Undergraduate Student Halls (9 on-campus halls and 1 off-campus), 5 of which have student halls with students’ associations, offering accommodations to both local and non-local students.

Local students are offered university-provided accommodation for one semester in their first year of study.

Non-local students are guaranteed university accommodation for the first 2 years of study. From the 3rd year onwards, students are advised to plan ahead to arrange off-campus accommodation if application for on-campus accommodation is not successful.

Following accepting an admission offer, you should refer to the Admissions Portal for updates on the application period and procedure for student housing.

You may visit here for further information.

11. Do I need to know Cantonese or Chinese to study at HKUST?

No. Applicants applying to HKUST are not required to know Cantonese. The medium of instruction at HKUST is English. All the lectures, course materials and work will be conducted in English except for language courses and a small number of courses which require Chinese usage.

12. Can students apply for the World Bachelor of Business (WBB) program?

WBB is a self-financed program jointly offered with University of Southern California (USA) and Bocconi University (Italy). Students may submit a separate WBB application via USC’s Common Application in addition to their HKUST application.

Please refer to the program website for more information.

Cannot find your answer? Please try here.